TROY, Mich. – July 30: Giarmarco, Mullins & Horton, P.C. is pleased to announce that partner
in the Business Practice and Health Care groups John A. Anderson has been elected by the
Ascension Health Board of Trustees to serve on the Board of Trustees for the Ascension-
Michigan Market for a three-year term starting July 1, 2019.
Ascension Health-Michigan operates 15 hospitals and 250 Sites of Care in Michigan and is part
of St. Louis based Ascension Health. Ascension Health operates the nation’s largest non-profit
hospital chain with more than 2,600 sites of care between 151 hospitals in 21 states and the
District of Columbia and has a total operating revenue in excess of $20 billion per year.
John A. Anderson specializes in healthcare law, is co-chair of the Healthcare Practice Group at
GMH where he represents a wide variety of healthcare providers in both regulatory and business
matters. Mr. Anderson has been recognized for excellence in health care law by dBusiness
Magazine, Best Lawyers in America, Leading Lawyers and Super Lawyers.
– Over 20 states
– 151 Hospitals
– 15 hospitals in Michigan
– Formed in 1999
– Ascension mission statement “dedicated to spiritually-centered, holistic care that sustains
and improves the health of individuals and communities”
– “Ascension, one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S.,
operates more than 2,600 sites of care in 21 states and the District of Columbia.
Ascension is a leading voice for Catholic healthcare and advocate among Catholic
– Operating revenue of 21.9 Billion Dollars
– $1.8 Billion Dollars given back with charity or other benefit programs
– “Ascension also saw operating expenses increase in the first half of fiscal 2019 to $12.3
billion, up 10.3 percent from $11.2 billion reported in the same period a year prior. The
increase in operating expenses was primarily due to the Presence acquisition.”