Tim has been successfully representing Michigan public school districts for more than 30 years. Tim’s representation of public school districts includes: employment discrimination, constitutional litigation, general education, special education, personal injury, serious school bus accidents, workers’ compensation, and more.
Tim’s practice includes the entire State of Michigan. Tim has successfully argued cases in front of the Michigan Supreme Court, the Michigan Court of Appeals, the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, and the numerous state trial courts and administrative agencies.
By way of brief example, the following are significant published opinions from cases Tim successfully litigated:
- Camburn v Jackson Community Schools, 459 Mich 471; 592 NW2d 46 (1999)
- Tarlea v Saline Area Schools, 263 Mich App 80; 687 NW2d 333 (2004)(one of the most frequently cited governmental immunity cases in Michigan)
- Beard v Whitmore Lake School Dist, 402 F3d 598 (6th Cir. 2005)(holding that the School District was entitled to immunity when it conducted strip searches of numerous students)
- Mino v Clio School Dist, 255 Mich App 60; 661 NW2d 586 (2003)(deciding the seminal case on a school district’s obligation to disclose a former employee’s unprofessional conduct, which resulted in the lawsuit being dismissed)
- Baker v Pinckney Community Schools, 477 Mich 1097; 729 NW2d 520 (2007)(the Michigan Supreme Court reversed the lower courts and dismissed lawsuit because the superintendent was entitled to absolute governmental immunity)
- Reaume v Jefferson Middle School, 477 Mich 1109; 729 NW2d 840 (2007)(another frequently cited governmental immunity lawsuit decided by the Supreme Court in favor of the school district)
While Tim has substantial expertise in school law, he also represents a wide variety cities, counties, universities, hospitals, manufacturers, professional corporations and other entities, in conjunction with both insured and self-insured programs
Tim has an “AV” Peer Review rating from Martindale-Hubbell, the highest ranking by peers for general ethical standards and legal ability.
Tim has been selected by his peers as a Michigan “Super Lawyer” in liability defense. He has also been included in “Best Lawyers” by US News, as well as being listed as a dbusiness “Top Lawyer.”
- Government Law
- Insurance Defense
- Workers’ Compensation
- Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan B.A., with distinction
- Detroit College of Law, J.D.
Admitted to Practice
- Michigan State Bar: 1977
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan: 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit: 1993
- U.S. Supreme Court: 1993
- Special Assistant Attorney General: 1993